The Company Act in Montenegro is very flexible, allowing foreign investors and nationals to set up different types of companies or purchase already established companies – shelf companies. New company versus shelf company in Montenegro entitles several advantages, depending on several factors. Our company formation experts in Montenegro can help you choose the type of company which suits your business purposes.
Table of Contents
Why choose a shelf company in Montenegro?
Shelf companies in Montenegro represent a type of company that already has a business history when it is purchased by an investor. The advantages of purchasing a shelf company include the following:
- Avoiding the company formation process;
- Not dealing with bureaucracy in obtaining the required documents and approvals from the relevant authorities;
- The company already has a history on the market and can obtain easily credit or a loan from banks or loan companies;
- A property transfer procedure is the only legal step in owing a shelf company in Montenegro;
- The shelf company has a registered seat and address and it can start doing business immediately;
- They are formed with very general objects to cater to the wide range of permissible activities;
- When purchased, a shelf company is accompanied by a certificate of non-trading guaranteeing that has not traded and has no liabilities up to the time of purchase.
When acquiring a shelf company in Montenegro there are certain risks to take into consideration. These can be reduced by choosing the help of reputed specialists in company registration in Montenegro who can assist you throughout the entire process.
Why start a new company in Montenegro?
Although there are numerous advantages to buying a shelf company, some investors can choose to open a new company in Montenegro. Usually, when it comes to forming a company, a limited liability company (LLC) is the most common type of business to incorporate. The advantages of starting a new company in Montenegro as an LLC include the following aspects:
- Only one shareholder, of any nationality, who can be an individual or a body corporate;
- A paid-up share capital of only 1 EUR;
- One director of any residency or nationality;
- Fast and simple company formation procedure which does not require the client to travel to Montenegro;
- No physical office is required. New companies can be registered at a virtual office in Montenegro.
The decision to buy a shelf company or start a new one pertains exclusively to the investor, according to his/her business needs. If you need professional assistance in making the right choice you can contact our Montenegro company formation agents, who will provide you with detailed information about the legal aspects of purchasing a shelf company or starting a new one.
A detailed comparison of a new vs. shelf company in Montenegro
When establishing a business in Montenegro, entrepreneurs have the option of forming a new company or acquiring a shelf company. A new company involves going through the process of registering a business entity from scratch. This process typically takes several weeks as it entails completing the necessary paperwork, obtaining approvals, and fulfilling legal requirements. With a new company, there is the advantage of customizing the company’s structure, name, share capital, and other details according to specific requirements. Entrepreneurs have the flexibility to shape the business from its inception, defining the company’s vision, strategies, and operational framework.
On the other hand, a shelf company, also known as a ready-made company, is a pre-registered entity that is available for immediate purchase. Acquiring a shelf company allows for immediate establishment, saving time and effort associated with the registration process. Shelf companies can be acquired within a short period, usually within a few days or even hours. However, a shelf company comes with pre-determined features, such as an existing company name, share capital, and sometimes even a predetermined business purpose. But later on, these features can be customized as per your business need with the assistance of our company formation agents.
Another consideration is the banking relationships. Forming a new company requires establishing new banking relationships and fulfilling the bank’s due diligence requirements. On the other hand, some shelf companies may already have existing banking relationships, which can potentially expedite the process of opening a bank account.
Legal and taxation considerations also come into play. Starting a new company allows for careful structuring to optimize legal and tax obligations based on the specific business model and objectives. In contrast, acquiring a shelf company may require an assessment of its existing legal and tax status, ensuring that it aligns with the buyer’s requirements and objectives.
In summary, choosing between a new company and a shelf company in Montenegro depends on various factors such as the urgency to start operations, customization preferences, banking relationships, and legal and taxation considerations. A new company offers flexibility and the opportunity to shape the business from scratch, while a shelf company allows for immediate establishment and potentially saves time and effort associated with registration. It is crucial for entrepreneurs to carefully evaluate their specific needs and consult with professionals to make an informed decision. If you are interested in acquiring expert incorporation help, please get in touch with our company formation agents in Montenegro.
Due diligence before buying a shelf company
When conducting due diligence to purchase a shelf company in Montenegro, it is crucial to verify its registration with the Montenegrin Business Registers Agency (APR) and confirm its ownership structure. Our company formation agents in Montenegro can offer you these services while performing due diligence:
- Review the company’s financial and tax records;
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Assess any potential legal disputes;
- Contractual obligations, and liabilities;
- Evaluate the company’s assets and intellectual property rights.
You are welcome to get in touch with our company incorporation specialists who are familiar with Montenegrin business practices. They can also offer you any additional services on request.
Register a new company in Montenegro with the help of our agents
To register a new company in Montenegro, please follow these steps:
- Firstly, choose a unique company name and verify its availability with the Montenegrin Business Registers Agency (APR);
- Prepare the necessary documentation, including articles of association, identification documents of founders, and proof of depositing the initial capital;
- Submit these documents to the APR along with the registration application form;
- Submit required fees;
- Once approved, obtain a tax identification number and register for mandatory social security and health insurance;
- Open a bank account for the company and deposit the required minimum capital.
Finally, complete any additional registration requirements specific to your business activity, such as obtaining licenses or permits. Compliance with the legal and regulatory obligations ensures a smooth and lawful registration process for your new company in Montenegro. Our agents are available to assist you at every stage of the company incorporation process in Montenegro. Feel free to reach out to them for guidance and support throughout the entire process.
Corporate taxes in Montenegro
In Montenegro, the corporate tax system is designed to support business activities and attract investments. Here is some information about corporate taxes in Montenegro:
- Corporate Income Tax (CIT): The corporate income tax rate in Montenegro varies from 9% to 15%;
- Dividend Tax: Dividends distributed by a Montenegrin company to its shareholders are subject to a 9% withholding tax. However, under certain conditions, tax exemptions or reduced rates may apply based on double taxation treaties or EU directives;
- Value Added Tax (VAT): Montenegro applies a standard VAT rate of 21% on the supply of goods and services.
You are welcome to contact our company incorporation consultants if you have additional questions in this regard.
Furthermore, if you are planning to relocate your company to Montenegro, our agents can assist.