Foreign entrepreneurs who want to invest in Montenegro have several options. They can start a new business, buy an existing company or relocate an existing company to Montenegro. For those who already have a company in another country, setting up a subsidiary or a branch office is also a possibility until they can move their business to Montenegro.
No matter the decision, all foreign investors must comply with the requirements of the Company Law in Montenegro. Our company formation agents in Montenegro can advise on the procedure of relocating a business to this country.
Table of Contents
Requirements when moving a business to Montenegro
As mentioned above, the Company Act is the main law to be respected no matter if one starts a new company or relocates an existing one to Montenegro. Among the provisions the company owner must comply with are:
- – making sure the type of company registered in the foreign country has an equivalent in Montenegro;
- – prepare all the documents showing the company is registered in the foreign country;
- – registering the existing company with the Trade Register in Montenegro according to the local rules;
- – closing the company in the foreign country and de-registering it with the Trade Register in that state.
It should be noted that there is no direct way of relocating a business to Montenegro. Our local advisors can also help foreign investors who want to open new companies in Montenegro.
You can also discuss your options for Montenegro residency alonside company relocation.
Why relocate a company to Montenegro?
Montenegro is one of the smallest, yet richest in Europe which offers numerous investment opportunities. Those who want to relocate their businesses to Montenegro should keep in mind that:
- – Montenegro is currently preparing to enter the European Union;
- – even if it is not an EU member yet, most of its laws are harmonized with the EU regulations;
- – the most employed type of company in Montenegro is the limited liability company, therefore relocating a business here is not complicated;
- – the company registration procedure is simple and can be completed remotely;
- – business owners also have the possibility of relocating their employees together with the company.
For assistance in relocating a business or setting up a new one, please feel free to contact our Montenegro company formation consultants.